Skip to main content

Review: Funding your Vision by Gerald Twombly


Emotional Givers vs Rational Givers
            I equate the emotional giver with that of the camp “high”. When we come home from summer camp everyone is on fire and wants to tell their whole school about Jesus this year, or when we go to concerts sponsored by Compassion or see the television ads for sad, abused puppies: everyone wants to signup right then but especially for students/millennials the next month there is a sadder, better project to be a part of. Rational givers know that Rome was not built in a day, and that it takes constant support and nurturing of a project for it to succeed.

Relationships: More than who you know but who you could make influence paths with (sphere of influence).

Take ten: Critical Groups: as discussed we would like to reach the millennials (20 to 30 somethings). Impacted Groups: Our mission fields and the projects that they have
            Not all prospects sit at the same place on your listings.

Take ten: Categorize Linkage: I do not of yet have nuclear, affinity or fringe break downs. Other Ways: generational connection with previous donors to our org
Relationships are give and take, and require upkeep. From the tracking stand point, we must keep as much detail as possible to help when we “upkeep” the relationship with a note or call: too much is not enough or more is better. If we are chatting with a new relationship: how is the best way to accumulate the general information that we want for tracking? Are there fields in our datebase that we are lacking?

            The process of ask takes time, and shouldn’t be jumped into- just like an engagement. Do not take a D to an A over night, it takes gradual steps for them to learn over time and truly encompass what an A is (chapter 8).

            I think chapter nine brought up a good point that relationship building shouldn’t be over thought. You are really just going back to the elementary school yard and offering to share peanut butter jelly sandwiches which probably looks a lot more like purchasing someone a Salted Caramel Frappuccino at Starbucks. Every time you interact with your customer/friend you are becoming closer to them, learning more about them, and relationships regardless of how they started (work, church, school) matter all the same and should be kept up more than a “hi, how are you?”. So that means places you will be, and people you will see are turned from accidental to intentional at HELLO.

            Package your ask, give it a name and make it personal. Overcome the society of not caring to show them WHY they should care because we cannot be the little boy at conference that just asks for money without specifying why it is needed and where it is going and how it will affect the bigger picture.

            Set goals, metrics, benchmarks: celebrate when you have met and share with those around you

as follow up: Twobley is still around and kicking, when following up about buying more of these books I acutally got an nice email by from Twombly himself. Here is his website: http://jerrytwombly.typepad.com/




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LIFE: The Thing I was Promised I Could Not Do

I feel like every post I make, I am finding more of my voice again. I never in my life felt like I would have a voice to share about some of the more body related posts that I have made, but here I am to share about another personal body part- lol! I realized I had not shared about my breast feeding journey and I feel like it is something that might help someone. So the journey starts on a very cold day in January 2018. As I have noted in previous blogs, I had a c-section which was not 100 percent my goal but 100 percent perfect in every way. I was told going into my c-section that it may take a little longer for my milk to fully come in but it was not going to be impossible. So when my little guy was able to join me in the room we would be in, we went to work. I was still very medicated and he made his wiggly way to the source. I knew not much was coming but he was happy at the end of each feeding attempt, but his blood sugar was low and the nurses wanted me to switch to formula and w...

REVIEW: Gratitude: A Prayer and Praise Coloring Journal

{necessary information} I received this book as a try-me from Tyndale Publishers and the opinions expressed in this blog are mine alone and not those of the author or publisher {transparency of blogger} I have worked for preschools and coaching facilities and as a babysitter for most of my life. Sometimes you have an extra coloring sheet laying around while the kids are babysitting ( and sometimes it was on purpose) so you have to sit down with the kids and use the best crayons or color pencils available to color the extra page. Okay, okay, I love to color. There is something therapeutic to coloring.  { review Gratitude} I love all things girly, so the fact that this book came with a flowery firm cover- I was giddy. Then you open up to devotion surrounded with black and white images crying to be colored- I was over the moon. After I read the devotional there is room to journal through my thoughts, taking coloring breaks. I highly reccomend this book for all ages and would b...

2014 Retrospective

Well well, 2015 snuck up on the Huffman- but want to look back at 2014. January tick tock, tick tock- we spent time waiting on our call- our 2013 ended after a whippity skippity trip to Indianapolis and knew that in Gods timing we would be finding out if and when we would take our next adventure. So before the end of January we knew our new journey would be to Indiana, and it would be soon. I ended my time at Gracepoint and subbed at Churchill Baptist until we got the news. Went to the San Antonio Zoo one last time for our 5th anniversary and what would be our last anni in SA ( for free due to the Spurs winning). We enjoyed seeing GHOST with friends before receiving our call and making final prep for our move to Indy. February Good byes are hard,  especially when they are family, friends and food. Both of us were born and raised in South Texas and even when we moved to Oklahoma for 9 months in 2008-2009 for school at OBU- San Antonio was still home. Basica...