Skip to main content

REVIEW: of Mess and Moxie by Jen Hatmaker

{necessary information} I received this book from the publisher as a part of the launch team for free. The opinions expressed in this blog are mine alone and not those of the author or publisher.

{transparency} Hmm, I have been sitting on, pondering, contemplating what I was going to write up front about this review. I know that this author has faced some heat for views that she has shared in interviews. I feel this is relevant to share upfront in my review because I want it known that my review of " Of Mess and Moxie" is not affected by outside sources or feelings. When I review a book, I open its pages, I dissect its content, and I come up with my own thoughts. This review is not affected by my feelings about former books by Jen, not by the fact that I spent an amazing night in Jen's backyard eating all the tacos and pie a girl can desire, and does not mean that I am in 100 percent agreeance with anything said in the book or by the author.


{endorsement: Of Mess and Moxie} Have you ever wanted to have a raw, real conversation with the sassy and quick witted Jen Hatmaker? Read this book. Jesus, food, family, all the important topics: she covered them all- with LOVE, recipes and how-to's.

Anastasia H. : Bubbly Ministry Wife, Green Tea-aholic, and Serial Book Launcher/Reviewer



{review} Dissect a title: Life is a big ball of mess sometimes and it takes a grabbin atcha big girl panties and face the day with all your gusto-MOXIE! 
     Some of those messy days we take on our mess titles: " Whether self-imposed or foisted upon us, we are assessed through that specific lens: damaged, failure, addict, victim, broken, unhealthy, abuser, quitter, injured, frail." Jen steps up to the plate and knocks those names off your shoulders and reminds you that that is not who you are, " You are more than the sorriest decision you ever made." and "Your name is not ruined." 
     Jen reminds us that we were not meant to be the cookie cutter images of each other, that sabbath is a huge deal, and "In other words, God is into beauty, food, fun and naps." There are huge laughs to be had in the how-tos, recipes and the general Jen-isms. 

{recommendation and information} As Jens kids mention in the book, there is talk about sex. So as far as who should read this, I would stick to adults (over the age of 18). Ordering the book is easy as pie: Of Mess and Moxie Preorder webpage can be found by clicking on the link, and has links to all the top online retailers, and the book can also be found on the shelves of Barnes and Nobles. Also if you jump on ordering before AUGUST 8TH you can get some amazing perks on the preorder page.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LIFE: The Thing I was Promised I Could Not Do

I feel like every post I make, I am finding more of my voice again. I never in my life felt like I would have a voice to share about some of the more body related posts that I have made, but here I am to share about another personal body part- lol! I realized I had not shared about my breast feeding journey and I feel like it is something that might help someone. So the journey starts on a very cold day in January 2018. As I have noted in previous blogs, I had a c-section which was not 100 percent my goal but 100 percent perfect in every way. I was told going into my c-section that it may take a little longer for my milk to fully come in but it was not going to be impossible. So when my little guy was able to join me in the room we would be in, we went to work. I was still very medicated and he made his wiggly way to the source. I knew not much was coming but he was happy at the end of each feeding attempt, but his blood sugar was low and the nurses wanted me to switch to formula and w...

REVIEW: Gratitude: A Prayer and Praise Coloring Journal

{necessary information} I received this book as a try-me from Tyndale Publishers and the opinions expressed in this blog are mine alone and not those of the author or publisher {transparency of blogger} I have worked for preschools and coaching facilities and as a babysitter for most of my life. Sometimes you have an extra coloring sheet laying around while the kids are babysitting ( and sometimes it was on purpose) so you have to sit down with the kids and use the best crayons or color pencils available to color the extra page. Okay, okay, I love to color. There is something therapeutic to coloring.  { review Gratitude} I love all things girly, so the fact that this book came with a flowery firm cover- I was giddy. Then you open up to devotion surrounded with black and white images crying to be colored- I was over the moon. After I read the devotional there is room to journal through my thoughts, taking coloring breaks. I highly reccomend this book for all ages and would b...

2014 Retrospective

Well well, 2015 snuck up on the Huffman- but want to look back at 2014. January tick tock, tick tock- we spent time waiting on our call- our 2013 ended after a whippity skippity trip to Indianapolis and knew that in Gods timing we would be finding out if and when we would take our next adventure. So before the end of January we knew our new journey would be to Indiana, and it would be soon. I ended my time at Gracepoint and subbed at Churchill Baptist until we got the news. Went to the San Antonio Zoo one last time for our 5th anniversary and what would be our last anni in SA ( for free due to the Spurs winning). We enjoyed seeing GHOST with friends before receiving our call and making final prep for our move to Indy. February Good byes are hard,  especially when they are family, friends and food. Both of us were born and raised in South Texas and even when we moved to Oklahoma for 9 months in 2008-2009 for school at OBU- San Antonio was still home. Basica...