Skip to main content

LIFE: I do not like mama marketing

I start this blog with a deep breath and sniffles from having watched Unplanned. Even though I mention a title/story/movie about the inside of an abortion clinic, I don't want you to think this is leading to that. This is a deeper story in my pregnancy announcement and journey posts, and having seen the hard nature of seeing other peoples. 

If you take a stroll through my 2017 social media, you would probably not realize I was pregnant that year, other than four photos: one from a pastors wife gathering in September, two at Halloween events, and the one from my baby shower in December. I actually feel like I took VERY few photos other than those even for non social media posting. 

John and I got married in 2009. We had a plan: graduate college, get a puppy and potty train it, and then we would be ready to have a kid. We were sophomores in college when we got married and per advice of those around us felt like we wanted to take some years (maybe 3) to get to know each other as a married couple and we for sure wanted to graduate from college. 

The problem came when those who got married after us started having babies. I was made to be a mama, and I felt it deep in my bones so I spent my days caring for other peoples babies. So each Mothers Day I sat in a pew at church holding back tears as they spoke about how amazing motherhood was and how we are called to be moms and IT SUCKED. I say sucked back tears, but as soon as service was over and we were in our car- the tears flowed. I was hurting. Each year the passed, it hurt more and the tears didn't hold back into the car- they flowed from the moment I woke. If you have read other blogs of mine, there is a story of the 2017 Mothers Day where I mourned the entire service, and day, then a short 5 days later ended up in a doctors office with some kidney issues that ended up being a positive pregnancy test. 

So of course these feelings did not only appear on Mothers Day but they were exasperated on that day each year. I still struggle with organizations calling out mama specific events when they could just as easy make it a ladies event. I dislike mama specific marketing. 

Be aware of your friends who are in waiting. Be aware of your friends who have suffered loss. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LIFE: The Thing I was Promised I Could Not Do

I feel like every post I make, I am finding more of my voice again. I never in my life felt like I would have a voice to share about some of the more body related posts that I have made, but here I am to share about another personal body part- lol! I realized I had not shared about my breast feeding journey and I feel like it is something that might help someone. So the journey starts on a very cold day in January 2018. As I have noted in previous blogs, I had a c-section which was not 100 percent my goal but 100 percent perfect in every way. I was told going into my c-section that it may take a little longer for my milk to fully come in but it was not going to be impossible. So when my little guy was able to join me in the room we would be in, we went to work. I was still very medicated and he made his wiggly way to the source. I knew not much was coming but he was happy at the end of each feeding attempt, but his blood sugar was low and the nurses wanted me to switch to formula and w...

2014 Retrospective

Well well, 2015 snuck up on the Huffman- but want to look back at 2014. January tick tock, tick tock- we spent time waiting on our call- our 2013 ended after a whippity skippity trip to Indianapolis and knew that in Gods timing we would be finding out if and when we would take our next adventure. So before the end of January we knew our new journey would be to Indiana, and it would be soon. I ended my time at Gracepoint and subbed at Churchill Baptist until we got the news. Went to the San Antonio Zoo one last time for our 5th anniversary and what would be our last anni in SA ( for free due to the Spurs winning). We enjoyed seeing GHOST with friends before receiving our call and making final prep for our move to Indy. February Good byes are hard,  especially when they are family, friends and food. Both of us were born and raised in South Texas and even when we moved to Oklahoma for 9 months in 2008-2009 for school at OBU- San Antonio was still home. Basica...

REVIEW: Gratitude: A Prayer and Praise Coloring Journal

{necessary information} I received this book as a try-me from Tyndale Publishers and the opinions expressed in this blog are mine alone and not those of the author or publisher {transparency of blogger} I have worked for preschools and coaching facilities and as a babysitter for most of my life. Sometimes you have an extra coloring sheet laying around while the kids are babysitting ( and sometimes it was on purpose) so you have to sit down with the kids and use the best crayons or color pencils available to color the extra page. Okay, okay, I love to color. There is something therapeutic to coloring.  { review Gratitude} I love all things girly, so the fact that this book came with a flowery firm cover- I was giddy. Then you open up to devotion surrounded with black and white images crying to be colored- I was over the moon. After I read the devotional there is room to journal through my thoughts, taking coloring breaks. I highly reccomend this book for all ages and would b...