Skip to main content

LIFE: Mirror Image

Sai De Silva

We all have heard the stories, or have one of our very own, of a child who heard an adult use an adult word and repeats it. Little ears pick up everything, but so do little minds, hearts, and spirits.

I have struggled with my body image since childhood. I have struggled with thinking that being overweight meant that I was not pretty. These stem from things I heard the women around me saying about their own bodies. Moms, Aunts, Babysitters, Friends- looking in the mirror saying," I look so fat and ugly today," or "I wish I could fix this."

Part of my weight loss journey has been coming to the realization that weight is not equivalent to beauty and that I am beautiful with the weight on or off. I think this is part of the reason my weight loss journey has been so rocky until recently. I could not let the weight control my image of myself. I had to see the woman that my husband saw and told me I was( thank you Honey 😘). At one point I tried to keep telling myself, "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels," to which I facepalm myself for because what I have come to realize is that I can eat the yummy fatty almond croissant in all its gloriousness on occasion and still see scale victories.

Little ears pick up things. Little hearts and minds remember things. We have to be careful about how we talk about our bodies around them so that they do not carry the same insecurities into their adulthoods. We need to compliment beyond outward beauty and focus on the things that are beautiful and admirable inside: brains, strength, love.

I greet most women I interact with, "Hello Beautiful," or, "Good Morning Gorgeous" because these women are beautifully wholly because their Creator made them that way. Speak truth and beauty into the lives of those around you, and the echos (kiddos) around you will too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LIFE: The Thing I was Promised I Could Not Do

I feel like every post I make, I am finding more of my voice again. I never in my life felt like I would have a voice to share about some of the more body related posts that I have made, but here I am to share about another personal body part- lol! I realized I had not shared about my breast feeding journey and I feel like it is something that might help someone. So the journey starts on a very cold day in January 2018. As I have noted in previous blogs, I had a c-section which was not 100 percent my goal but 100 percent perfect in every way. I was told going into my c-section that it may take a little longer for my milk to fully come in but it was not going to be impossible. So when my little guy was able to join me in the room we would be in, we went to work. I was still very medicated and he made his wiggly way to the source. I knew not much was coming but he was happy at the end of each feeding attempt, but his blood sugar was low and the nurses wanted me to switch to formula and w...

2014 Retrospective

Well well, 2015 snuck up on the Huffman- but want to look back at 2014. January tick tock, tick tock- we spent time waiting on our call- our 2013 ended after a whippity skippity trip to Indianapolis and knew that in Gods timing we would be finding out if and when we would take our next adventure. So before the end of January we knew our new journey would be to Indiana, and it would be soon. I ended my time at Gracepoint and subbed at Churchill Baptist until we got the news. Went to the San Antonio Zoo one last time for our 5th anniversary and what would be our last anni in SA ( for free due to the Spurs winning). We enjoyed seeing GHOST with friends before receiving our call and making final prep for our move to Indy. February Good byes are hard,  especially when they are family, friends and food. Both of us were born and raised in South Texas and even when we moved to Oklahoma for 9 months in 2008-2009 for school at OBU- San Antonio was still home. Basica...

REVIEW: Gratitude: A Prayer and Praise Coloring Journal

{necessary information} I received this book as a try-me from Tyndale Publishers and the opinions expressed in this blog are mine alone and not those of the author or publisher {transparency of blogger} I have worked for preschools and coaching facilities and as a babysitter for most of my life. Sometimes you have an extra coloring sheet laying around while the kids are babysitting ( and sometimes it was on purpose) so you have to sit down with the kids and use the best crayons or color pencils available to color the extra page. Okay, okay, I love to color. There is something therapeutic to coloring.  { review Gratitude} I love all things girly, so the fact that this book came with a flowery firm cover- I was giddy. Then you open up to devotion surrounded with black and white images crying to be colored- I was over the moon. After I read the devotional there is room to journal through my thoughts, taking coloring breaks. I highly reccomend this book for all ages and would b...