Skip to main content

LIFE: When Small Things Feel So Big

Photo by Marc Kleen on Unsplash


When you drop a student's birthday cake and spill a not touched venti iced coffee from Starbucks and it feels like the end of the world, you know you’re wound tight.

There are many things going on in my personal inner bubble (we will use this terminology to define close family, friends, and household), and I know that I am leaning on the wrong things (food choices, social media scrolling, tv watching) and small first world problems (like the one above) are crushing my world.

How often do we do this? Why isn’t our first reaction to hit The Books ( is the Bible, hence the capitalization)? I am not currently practicing what I have preached to youth and children going through the same things I am going through. I think it a because:

1. In leadership, there is a stigma to hide in your struggles until they have passed us over and we can say we survived them. I think this is a little bit where it began- I didn’t want to share I was struggling in the moment. 

2. I am struggling with other people’s choices and issues- so they aren’t things I can specifically change other than through prayer. So I’m lifting them up by name, but I didn’t want it to become a gossip through prayer thing. However, seeking wise counsel on dealing and praying for this should have been the first step as a leader because we can’t do life alone and are not called to do life alone.

3. I haven’t touched the Bible other than during church services for a while now, and I miss it. I haven’t known where to start and didn’t have a specific study I was doing so I just put everything else first. This is wrong. I am wrong. I miss God's word because it’s TRUTH, LIGHT and I have siloed myself from even Him.

Wow! Life would be so much better if I took my own advice, I listened to the teachings that I’ve heard over and over. The evening got even more fun when I find out that the whole Starbucks order was a bust (literally) and that John's had ended up all over the church kitchen floor too.  When my husband told me about his drink too ( which he said he waited to tell me about because he saw that I was struggling), I had to smile and chuckle though there was a little bit of a UGHHH with it too- $7 worth of Starbucks drinks bathed the floor of the church kitchen. 

I woke up Thursday and made sure to hit the Book and guess what, the coffee didn't matter as much, and my episode from the night before was a notch in the blog content. Find someone to talk with when you are wound up, so you don't end up crying about spilled coffee. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LIFE: The Thing I was Promised I Could Not Do

I feel like every post I make, I am finding more of my voice again. I never in my life felt like I would have a voice to share about some of the more body related posts that I have made, but here I am to share about another personal body part- lol! I realized I had not shared about my breast feeding journey and I feel like it is something that might help someone. So the journey starts on a very cold day in January 2018. As I have noted in previous blogs, I had a c-section which was not 100 percent my goal but 100 percent perfect in every way. I was told going into my c-section that it may take a little longer for my milk to fully come in but it was not going to be impossible. So when my little guy was able to join me in the room we would be in, we went to work. I was still very medicated and he made his wiggly way to the source. I knew not much was coming but he was happy at the end of each feeding attempt, but his blood sugar was low and the nurses wanted me to switch to formula and w...

REVIEW: Gratitude: A Prayer and Praise Coloring Journal

{necessary information} I received this book as a try-me from Tyndale Publishers and the opinions expressed in this blog are mine alone and not those of the author or publisher {transparency of blogger} I have worked for preschools and coaching facilities and as a babysitter for most of my life. Sometimes you have an extra coloring sheet laying around while the kids are babysitting ( and sometimes it was on purpose) so you have to sit down with the kids and use the best crayons or color pencils available to color the extra page. Okay, okay, I love to color. There is something therapeutic to coloring.  { review Gratitude} I love all things girly, so the fact that this book came with a flowery firm cover- I was giddy. Then you open up to devotion surrounded with black and white images crying to be colored- I was over the moon. After I read the devotional there is room to journal through my thoughts, taking coloring breaks. I highly reccomend this book for all ages and would b...

2014 Retrospective

Well well, 2015 snuck up on the Huffman- but want to look back at 2014. January tick tock, tick tock- we spent time waiting on our call- our 2013 ended after a whippity skippity trip to Indianapolis and knew that in Gods timing we would be finding out if and when we would take our next adventure. So before the end of January we knew our new journey would be to Indiana, and it would be soon. I ended my time at Gracepoint and subbed at Churchill Baptist until we got the news. Went to the San Antonio Zoo one last time for our 5th anniversary and what would be our last anni in SA ( for free due to the Spurs winning). We enjoyed seeing GHOST with friends before receiving our call and making final prep for our move to Indy. February Good byes are hard,  especially when they are family, friends and food. Both of us were born and raised in South Texas and even when we moved to Oklahoma for 9 months in 2008-2009 for school at OBU- San Antonio was still home. Basica...