Skip to main content

ten years ago

When you are interviewed for jobs you are asked " where will you be in 1 year ( 5 years or 10 years)?" and of course your answer morphs all the time, sometimes even day to day. A friend of my husbands reminded me that 2014 would be their 10 year high school reunion. It got me to thinking about ten years ago and since we were in the month of March, I just merely thought, " I was in eighth grade at William P Hobby Middle School." I then began to think of the things that happened in eighth grade.
____________________________________________________________________________

     I loved wearing purple and gold, our school colors. I was an officer in the club Hobby Pride, along with being a student council board rep. I was in yearbook and newspaper along with being a tennis player. I was in Mr. Montgomery's ( Monty) US history class and Mrs. Correas English Class. I went to every football games because I was a tad boy crazy. I passed notes in class ALOT. And most of all I was in Theater and my teacher Mrs. Rowe was a rockstart.
     In the fall of 2002 we did the play Anne of Green Gables. After the performance one of my favorite people in the whole wide world came backstage. He was one of my best friends, and best friends to most of the cast. He had moved schools after seventh grade year or else he would have been on stage with us. During the previous years, we had many a NSYNC and Britney Spears dance parties and sang ALOT of musical numbers, including Lion King. He had bandages on his head, and told us he had a brain tumor removed but that everything would be okay. We heard the same story after our winter musical, Kokonut Kapers.
     In May of 2003 the eighth graders schedules were very full. The most exciting part about it was that for the advanced theater students we were going to get to go on a field trip to Austin to meet with casting directors. The second week in May would be a crazy one. Wednesday I arrived at school and was walking to the theater room, where I hung out with friends before the bell rung, and Carlos came running towards me with a newspaper clipping and I could tell he had been crying. Our friend that had visited us during our plays this year had died. I thought to myself, " he said he was going to be okay," and "there is no way this could be happening." Travis was the first death of someone I knew that I was having to process. For all of us we were going to have to deal with the death of a friend. We spent the whole day in the theater room processing it all with our theater teacher and counselor.
     That evening my two close friends Chris and Erin came with me to the viewing. My dad tried to cheer us up after the viewing by singing, "the Thong Song." The next day we went to school and were told we had to try to make it through classes until we left for the funeral. I remember riding with three other girls to the funeral. The music during the service was from "The Lion King" and I was able to keep it together until after the eulogy when they played,"I Just Cant Wait to Be King." My mind flew to the image that Rafiki drew in the wall of a small lion, one without a mane.
     My friends and I spoke with the dad that had driven us to the funeral, and ended up attending the burial. I did not know how hard that portion of the day would be, but I remember seeing the casket begin to move down and my friend Chris holding me because I was crying uncontrollably.
When we got back to school we had a meeting, because we were going to Austin the next day to meet with the casting directors. Mrs. Rowe said, " Travis would want you to go and impress the directors, he wouldn't want you to miss it because you were sad for him." And she was right, Travis would have loved to have gone to Austin and do mini auditions with casting directors- we had to go for him.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Travis did not ever get to fulfill his dreams of being on Broadway or in the Movies but he lived his life for Christ and to the fullest- and that is what any and all of us should be doing.

"No one saying do this  
No one saying be there
No one saying stop that
No one saying see here
Free to run around all day
Free to do it all my way!"
http://www.lionking.org/lyrics/OBCR/JustCantWait.html
  Travis is getting to live out the words to "I Just Cant Wait," up in Heaven. I bet he is constantly singing and dancing, just as he would have been doing if he were still here. I have never forgotten Travis and I can bet that many people have great memories of him dancing and singing and acting. If you knew him and do have some special memories, feel free to comment. Monday I will be going to his grave for the first time since he passed away 10 years ago. 
     Ten years ago, I dont know what I would have told you I would be doing this May, it might have been NYU, or maybe Julliard. All I know is that 14 year old me would have been a little confused about my crazy journey but would have been proud that I am keeping my life centered in Christ and still living life to the fullest. 
- 24 year old me 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LIFE: Camp

I have had an awful lot of un published blogs lately. These blogs come from deep routed feelings that have surfaced this year due to one thing or another. Maybe some day these blogs will be unearthed but for today, this blog needed to be written while it was still raw.  I have very vague memories of third or forth grade summer camp at Alto Frio, where I met Nana Pudding ( a christian puppet) and went pogging for the first time in a river. Summer after sixth grade,  I got in church vans and headed to Louisiana for the first time to attend Student Life Camp, then proceeded to go to Angelo State University and Glorieta New Mexico a few times. I spent time serving during spring breaks at Riverbend Retreat Center which lead to an internship over the summer. The week that "Curtis" and I first really got to know each other, we were at Glorieta for Centrifuge camp.  Camp is a special place for me. Camp is a happy place for me.  In 2018, I was able to experience camp through new eyes

LIFE: Processing the Unknown

In the 90's, television and books portrayed the family with 2.5 children and a house with a two car garage where dad worked outside of the home and mom had dinner ready in the evenings. The show would continue with grandma and grandpa popping in for a visit or a trip to their house.  My 90's family did not have this imagery- and that's okay. I grew up with divorced parents, and the parents I lived with full time both were from countries other than the US- meaning aunts, uncles, cousins and grandparents all still lived in their respective native land. This meant that I did not necessarily have the same visitation schedule as families who all live in the same city, state, or country.  I know from pictures that the first time that my Nana ( my dads mom) Sheila, from England, came to visit was the spring after I was born. I have pictures of myself in a stroller with my Nana below the Tower of Americas. The next time I would get the opportunity to be with my grandmother was arou

REVIEW: You Can Do This by Tricia Lott Williford

Tricia and her book baby {necessary information} I received this book from the author as a part of the launch team for free. The opinions expressed in this blog are mine alone and not those of the author or publisher. {review: You Can Do This } Tricia is a clear and concise writer detailing some hurtful and raw points in her life. Through every chapter there is a reflection assignment to help you work through the tough spots in your life and find the confidence in Him to work through them. She sprinkles quotes from strong famous people, as well as strong Biblical truths. In chapter 5 she reminds you that the comment section does not have the right to get you down. On page 62, Tricias therapist reminds us that, " Everybody has a chapter of their life they don't read out loud." She introduced me to 6 word stories- which I am very excited to give a try. In chapter 9 she introduces us to her second love story. "No for now isn't no forever"!!!! Every cha