Skip to main content

Loving her for the In-betweens

{SOAP BOX}  There are seasons in life: childhood, high school graduation, college graduation, wedding, and having kids.  These are milestones/goals that show I guess what can be viewed as success points.

When and why have we set a cultural expectation that they must all flow smoothly, in order and back to back? Can people just enjoy the stages of life they are in any more? Is this something that has always been prevalent and I am only seeing it because of the season I am in?

*** my not perfect timeline***

Sept 2006: I was a high school senior with 13 clubs and organizations on my mind- finishing high school strong; and also the month that I started dating my husband.

May 2007: Graduated High School with honors and started my full time job the next morning at 8:00 am.

Aug 2007: started community college { becoming a more normal/accepted thing due to cost of college}

July 2008: GOT ENGAGED :) {I was 19 years of age- some thought I was NUTS- so we planned to get married in 2012 which people thought was EVEN crazier and planned to get married the next summer}

Sept 2008: Transferred to a university

Jan 2009: Planned entire wedding in 6 days :) another day, much longer blog

June 2009: Moved into my in-laws garage apt and transferred to online universities

Sept 2012: FINALLY graduated college


*** the questions***
2006- 2007: where are you going to school? what are you studying?  {celebrated}

Late 2008: whens the big day? are you nervous? {celebrated}

2009: are you pregnant? { judged for timing}

Late 2009 to Today: when will you start a family? are you not going to have kids? you wont understand, you don't have kids.

2010-2014: are you going to teach preschool forever? do you need to finish your degree? are you ever going to move out of your in-laws house?


***Conclusion***
The only positive, enjoy where you are at conversation I heard was from my sister in law who said it would be smart to wait a few years to have kids to enjoy each other as a married couple. Once you meet one of the items on the timeline they are pushing for the next marker.

So why do I write about this: because I want you to think about your recent conversations. For a newly engaged couple that you see often- how much do you focus on the wedding and them being nervous and not about how they are doing in their present day or even in planning beyond the big day. For someone graduating any schooling do you focus on whats beyond this level or ask them if there is something you can do for them as they are getting through this class.  Spend more time focused on the person and not the mile markers because it makes them focus more on the mile marker then the present and we all know that today is a present and the only thing we have guaranteed.

I write this because I get question after question about having kids and feel inadequate because I have not hit that milestone yet. I write this because a friend of mine at only ever gets asked about his wedding any more and not about the brand new job he just got or the funding journey he has started. I write this because I want to warn others about the generalized questions we get in the routine of asking and not truly listening to the answers.

besides- how many times do you like telling the same story about the milestone you haven't met?

<3 {off my box}

Comments

  1. Very nice share. Keep sharing such posts. I am also getting married and it is the most enjoyable and exciting time of my life. Recently I am busy finding one of the affordable wedding venues for the big day. We would have a luau themed wedding so it will be good to book the private beach side location. Do you know about a good one?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LIFE: Camp

I have had an awful lot of un published blogs lately. These blogs come from deep routed feelings that have surfaced this year due to one thing or another. Maybe some day these blogs will be unearthed but for today, this blog needed to be written while it was still raw.  I have very vague memories of third or forth grade summer camp at Alto Frio, where I met Nana Pudding ( a christian puppet) and went pogging for the first time in a river. Summer after sixth grade,  I got in church vans and headed to Louisiana for the first time to attend Student Life Camp, then proceeded to go to Angelo State University and Glorieta New Mexico a few times. I spent time serving during spring breaks at Riverbend Retreat Center which lead to an internship over the summer. The week that "Curtis" and I first really got to know each other, we were at Glorieta for Centrifuge camp.  Camp is a special place for me. Camp is a happy place for me.  In 2018, I was able to experience camp through new eyes

LIFE: Processing the Unknown

In the 90's, television and books portrayed the family with 2.5 children and a house with a two car garage where dad worked outside of the home and mom had dinner ready in the evenings. The show would continue with grandma and grandpa popping in for a visit or a trip to their house.  My 90's family did not have this imagery- and that's okay. I grew up with divorced parents, and the parents I lived with full time both were from countries other than the US- meaning aunts, uncles, cousins and grandparents all still lived in their respective native land. This meant that I did not necessarily have the same visitation schedule as families who all live in the same city, state, or country.  I know from pictures that the first time that my Nana ( my dads mom) Sheila, from England, came to visit was the spring after I was born. I have pictures of myself in a stroller with my Nana below the Tower of Americas. The next time I would get the opportunity to be with my grandmother was arou

REVIEW: You Can Do This by Tricia Lott Williford

Tricia and her book baby {necessary information} I received this book from the author as a part of the launch team for free. The opinions expressed in this blog are mine alone and not those of the author or publisher. {review: You Can Do This } Tricia is a clear and concise writer detailing some hurtful and raw points in her life. Through every chapter there is a reflection assignment to help you work through the tough spots in your life and find the confidence in Him to work through them. She sprinkles quotes from strong famous people, as well as strong Biblical truths. In chapter 5 she reminds you that the comment section does not have the right to get you down. On page 62, Tricias therapist reminds us that, " Everybody has a chapter of their life they don't read out loud." She introduced me to 6 word stories- which I am very excited to give a try. In chapter 9 she introduces us to her second love story. "No for now isn't no forever"!!!! Every cha